The following steps will get you bind the flight controller to your radio transmitter (Frsky or DSM version) quickly. It is a condensed version intended for experienced builders. Each step is elaborated in more detail in this manual if you are new to this.
Frsky Receiver Version
Click the bind-button meanwhile powering on the board, either by connecting the battery or USB power. Then the receiver will enter bind mode, indicated by solid red receiver LED.
Now, on the radio, power on the radio and set the protocol mode to D8.Then enter the bind status(or what it takes to enter bind status).
The red receiver LED should turn off when binding is completed and successful. ---- For F3 EVO FC with Frsky Rx
The red receiver LED should turn into a blick red light when binding is completed and successful. ---- For F3 FC with Frsky Rx and OSD
Now MUST power off the board and exit bind mode on your radio.
Power the FC board and your radio transmitter again. The solid red receiver LED means the radio and native receiver are connected correctly.
For F3 EVO brushed FC with RSSI telemetry, you could use the RSSI telemetry on radio to detect the connection.
For F3 brushed FC with OSD,no RSSI telemetry included. You could inspect the connection in the Betaflight GUI receiver tab.
1) Only need to bind the radio ONCE. Next time the receiver will connect to the radio automatically.
2) The DJT and XJT modules are also supported. (The DJT module do not support the V1.0 of F3 FC with Frsky Rx and OSD. This board is not for produce nowadays)
3) On the DJI or XJT module change the dip switch settings to switch 1 - “on” and switch 2 - “off” This sets the module to be compatible with the FrSky V8-II and D8 series receivers, and allows you to go into D8 mode. ( NOT Confirmed Yet).
EU Frsky Taranis Incompatibility Issue
The native Frsky receiver on the BETAFPV FC boards only could support D8 protocol. This is not incompatible with the Frsky Taranis radio transmitter in EU firmware.
The best way to find out which firmware you have on your radio is to go to the model screen on your taranis, and go to the internal RF mode setting. Depending on the version of firmware you have you will be able to select different options.
- D8, D16, LR12 - if you can select all three then you have the international firmware and is what was installed by default to all taranis radios before 2015 and is still being used on all non-EU taranis radios.
- D16 only - This means that you have one of the first versions of the EU-LBT firmware versions on your taranis, if this is the case its a good idea to upgrade all of your equipment.
- D16, LR12 - this means that you have the newest EU-LBT firmware on your taranis and you can use the radio for both the X-series and L-series recievers. Generaly if you have purchased any FRsky equipment after 2016 it will have this version on it.
So if you have a Frsky radio transmitter in EU firmware and want to try the OSD function, we would recommend the F3 FC with OSD and no receiver version. You could add an external micro receiver that support the D16 protocol, like Frsky XM+.
DSM Receiver Version
The manual below is available for flight controllers with native DSMX rx. --- BETAFPV F3 FC with DSMX Rx and OSD.
Click the bind-button meanwhile powering on the board, either by connecting the battery or USB power. Then the receiver will enter bind mode, indicated by quickly flashing red receiver LED.
Now, on the radio, power on the Spektrum radio with the bind switch on. Then enter the bind status(or what it takes to enter bind status).
The red receiver LED should turn into a solid red light when binding is completed and successful. Now the connection is available and no re-power needed.
1. No need to bind every time the battery is replaced, native DSMX Rx could remember your transmitter.
2. This native DSMX receiver is NOT compatible with Spektrum DXe radio transmitter and OrangeRX RF module.
3. For some Spektrum radio transmitter like DX6i/DX6e etc, the DSMX receiver may have a horrible range with your radio transmitter, please change the mode to DSM2 (DSMX in default). This issue is figured out by Micro Motor Warehouse.
4. For the Spektrum radio transmitter like DX6/DX8/DX9/DX12 etc, both DSMX mode or DSM2 mode works well.
If this integrated DSMX receiver could not work with your radio transmitter, please give us an email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ). We will update the tips above, so that other pilots will not occur the same issue.